Once you embrace the world of healthy living, you start trying to recreate your favorite treats in a healthier form. And I think one of everyone’s favorite summertime special is definitely Mint Chip Ice Cream.
You can do this smoothie a couple of ways – if you lower the liquid volume, you can make a smoothie bowl and then “top” it like a sundae wth unsweetned coconut, more cacoa nibs or some fresh mint!
Truth be told, Mint Chip inspires great passion (my daughter is one example) and so how can we get the flavors of mint chip into somthing healthy and creamy that hits the spot. The apple adds fibre and a bit of bite to the smoothie that could be a little too sweet.
- 2 cups of chopped spinach
- ½ frozen banana
- 1/2 finely chopped apple – we used honey crisp and it was delicious
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk or a mix of almond milk and water OR 1 cup vanilla almond milk, 1/4 cup canned coconut milk and 1/2 cup water
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 1-2 tsp peppermint extract (depnding on how minty you like it)
- 1 tbsp chia or hemp seed.
- 2 tbsp cacoa nibs
- 3-4 ice cubes.
Instructions (serves two)
Place the veggies and fruit at the bottom of the Vitamix and top with liquids, seeds and flavoring. Blend well, low to high, for 1 minutes, then add the cacao nibs and pulse to blend. Serve immediately.
Replace liquid with 1 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 cup coconut milk.