I love the flavours of Indian food and the health benefits of tumeric are immense – undeniably the best anti-inflammation spice on the market. Indian food is wonderful, but often so heavy. We hold onto all the flavours, but make it a simple and healthful soup full of fibre and protein, and very good for you.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish diced
- 1 knob ginger, finely chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
- 1 package mushrooms, sliced
- 4-6 cups vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 large can chickpeas
- 2 tsp cumin and curry powder
- 1 tsp tumeric and garam masala (optional)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- Optional: Several handfuls of chopped kale.
Sauté the onion, ginger and spices until fragrant. Add cauliflower and sauté for a few minutes then cover with vegetable stock or water. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for ten minutes. Add the mushrooms and chickpeas and simmer for another ten minutes. Add the kale if using. Can also take portion out and puree it in high speed blender, then add back in to thicken it.
Fantastic on its own. You could also use less stock and make this more of a curry to serve over brown rice or quinoa.