Who’s with me?
But don’t we get a little bored of the same over and over?
Enter the Chicken Faijta Burger. Here’s the best thing: its affordable, delicious, and versatile. You can make it as is and serve it in buns (gluten-free or regular) with a big dollop of salsa and a ton of my ‘mazing guacamole, or you can put it in a tortilla or crumble on top of a giant salad – how I usually roll.
Get the best ground chicken you can find for this – but don’t worry about whether it is breast of thigh. Chicken thigh might be a little fattier, but it is cheaper and it is flavourful. These burgers will be part of your weekly rotation – especially considering you can freeze them. Easy, and supper comes together quickly. I often splash out and get the butcher to grind me some chicken breast – they won’t always do it, but when they do I buy extra!
- 1 lb freshly ground chicken.
- 1/4 cup freshly minced cilantro and 1/4 cup finely diced red onion (Note: You can omit the onion if you or your kids hate onion. However, I am not sure I want to know you)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced.
- 2 tsp each chili powder, garlic power, cumin.
- 1 tsp oregano
- Zest from one lime.
- Sea salt to taste (put about 1/2 tsp in the patties, then sprinkle on top)
- Option: a couple of handfuls of finely chopped spinach or arugula
Mix all the ingredients together by hand in a large stainless steel bowl and form into four large patties, five medium patties or six small bite-sized patties. Spray non-stick frying pan with cooking spray and pan fry on medium-high for 5-7 minutes per side, flipping when golden, and cook same time on the other side. Freeze immediately if planning on using later in the week or serve in buns, on a salad or in tortillas with heaping spoonfuls of guacamole and pico de gallo, my favourite fresh salsa (for a quick pico dice 2 tomatoes, add juice from the tested lime, 2 tbsp finely diced red onion, 1 tsp cumin, fresh cilantro (minced) and sea salt to taste.