Ask anyone who knows me – I am the Salad Queen. When I get invited for dinner, I am invariably asked to make a salad and here’s why: My salads are friggin’ delicious and I make amazing dressings. For your salad, be creative. Here are a few of my best tips:
- Have fun with the base – I love organic mixed greens as much as the next person, but I will always add another green to the mix – napa cabbage, romaine, butter lettuce, arugula for bite,
- Think about your salad fixin’s in terms of the mineral and nutrients you need for the day and for heaven’s sake use the rainbow: God created purple cabbage for a reason, and its SALAD!
- Roast diced sweet potatoes, squash and cauliflower and keep them in a glass jar.
- Raw cauliflower and broccoli are lovely – marinating them with a little EVOO and red wine vinegar adds a little extra kick.
- Cook up some extra edamame and keep it in the fridge to throw in – especially with this salad! Same deal with green beans!
- Shred carrots and beets and keep them in glass jars for easy use.
- Don’t forget things like artichokes, water chestnuts, green beans
- Embrace pea shoots and live sprouts – these are more often seen in spring and summer, but you can get them year roads. I love sprouted chickpeas and lentils for added pizazz in my salads.
- Avocados will enhance ANY salad. Trust.
But the biggest tip? It’s all about the dressing. We all need to have more healthy fat in our diet, and olive oil really is the way to go. This dressings is ALWAYS in my fridge and the best things is you can do it two ways – whip all the ingredients up in your blender for a thicker, creamy dressing or, if you are strapped for time, just plop them all into a mason jar and whisk away. You are welcome.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4-1/2 inch ginger, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- For extra creamy dressing, I add 1 tbsp tahini
- Water to thin/taste
Mix all the ingredients in a mason jar and shake it up for at least one minute, or place in the Vitamix on LOW to MEDIUM for 30 seconds. If it is too thick, add a little water.