Every salad starts and ends with THREE things, in my mind.
- Fresh, choice veggies
- A great protein or a healthy carbohydrate to sustain you.
- A killer dressing.
Any little extra – like sexy avocado or protein-packed hemp hearts – is just, you know, extra.
Salad comes together super easily if you meal prep and store your veggies in advance. On Sunday Meal Prep Day I set myself up for success in a few simple ways:
- FRESH CHOICE VEGGIES
- Using the food processor, I shred red or green cabbage, carrots, Napa cabbage and any other hard vegetables that might tweak my fancy. Jicama, a root vegetable I fell in love with when I lived in Mexico City, is packed with nutrients.
- When the oven is on, I roast carrots, sweet potato, cauliflower, beets and butternut squash. If you are a fan of turnip, that can also add a lot of variety to your salads.
- If I am feeling super creative, I will steam some green beans and toss them in a little olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Don’t overlook frozen veggies: You can quickly steam some edamame, beans
- Snap peas, cucumber, peppers can be chopped and stored.
- When you crack out the spiralizer, go extra – spiral zucchini is great raw, or if you are lightly steaming it (or squash) it will be good for two days in a glass jar.
- The “bed” is key – don’t just stick with the Box Spring Mix! Arugula, kale, spinach, Boston lettuce, red and green leaf lettuce, romaine….and the shredded cabbages make wonderful bases.
2. GREAT PROTEIN or HEALTHY CARB
- Some ideas: Take two chicken breasts per person, wash and pat dry and rub with the Healthy Six Italian spice mix. A high heat will give you the most moisture – bake at 400 for 22-26 minutes depending on the size of the breast.
- When you bake salmon, trout, halibut or any other fish – like the Baked Cod to Die For – make double! It will only be good the next day.
- Who doesn’t love some great legumes? Cooked or roasted lentils or chickpeas are great as a simple protein addition to a salad.
- Healthy Carb Choices: Quinoa, Brown Rice, Wild Rice, Black Rice, Cooked Millet.
3. THREE KICK ASS SIMPLE DRESSINGS
- GREEK: Mix together 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 2 tsp dried oregano, 1 tbsp grainy dijon, 1 tsp honey and salt and pepper. Thin with water
- TAHINI SRIRACHA: In a glass bowl, mix together 1/4 cup tahini, 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1-2 tbsp SRIRACHA sauce.. Add a little maple syrup to cut the heat!
- LEMON MINT: Juice and zest two lemons, 1/2 cup avocado or EVOO with 2 tsp fresh mint.
- 2 cups greens of choice
- 2 cups of additional veggies from the rainbow.
- Protein (chicken / salmon / quinoa) or seeds and nuts.
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- Add 2 tbsp of any of the ABOVE dressings.
- Feel free to add 1-2 tbsp hemp seeds, ground flax seeds, toasted pine nuts, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds for a little added protein and fibre
- And who on earth would ever say no to sliced avocado or a dollop of guacamole?
- Make the dressing first and store extra in a clean mason jar
- Make it pretty! Section your plate and add the veggies in a rainbow. Treat yo’self.
- Add the protein.
- Toss together