Fun Fact: You can freeze veggie frittata muffins and pull one out during the week for a quick breakfast or snack. Eggs are the powerhouse protein that all fitness enthusiasts love, and while eggs themselves are super easy to make, when you are going to throw in a tons of veggies that become a little more labour-intensive. A combination of eggs and egg whites keeps these fluffy. You might lose some flavour from freezing – my answer is, suck it up, buttercup. Add some salsa or some smashed guacamole and you’ve got a power-protein breakfast
Enter the make-ahead frittata muffins . Here are the tips you should follow
- Let the muffins cool completely first
- When you pop the frittata out, place it in the oven to reheat – about 10 minutes at 350 should make it nice and bubbly.
- Veggies you might want to try: Cremini mushrooms, red, Spanish or Green onion, spinach, kale, red or yellow peppers, zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, if you have any.. Turkey bacon also makes a great addition.
- Don’t forget the herbs: Dried basil, oregano, dill, thyme or add fresh herbs.
- 8 eggs, four egg whites – 12 muffin cups.
- Italian 2 cups spinach, finely chopped, 1 cup finely diced mushrooms, 2 green onions, fresh basil, dried basil and oregano
- Green Machine: 1 cup kale, 1 cup spinach, shredded together, 1/2 cup diced zucchini, 1/2 cup raw or steamed broccoli, fresh dill
- Tomato, Garlic and Spinach: I cup spinach finely chopped, 1/2 cup fresh tomatoes, 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, 2 cloves roasted garlic, dried basil and oregano
EGGS and HERBS
- Whisk together 6 eggs and 4 egg whites
- Add 2 tsp 1 tsp each mixed herbs (see above for variation) to eggs. Whisk together
- Preheat oven to 350
- Liberally grease a muffin tin with cooking spray. Half-fill with veggies.
- Place egg mixture in a large glass measuring cup, or in pitcher with a spout. This will make it easier to pour into the muffin tins. Fill tins 3/4 full with whisked eggs and herbs
- Bake 24-28 minute until fully cooked. Let cool completely then pop out of trays
- Eat immediately or place in freezer-safe containers. You may separate them with parchment paper.